The Adventures of God-Man

And here we have in strikingly accurate satirical form, the God of America, most of American evangelicalism, Dispensationalism,and especially Calvinism. Just Consider this a supplement to my forthcoming evangelicalism series.

1. D.W. Congdon wrote:

Hilarious. Are there more?

Thursday, November 9, 2006 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Oh, yeah:

Thursday, November 9, 2006 at 9:37 pm | Permalink
  3. Queen Lola wrote:

Sweet! I am adding that site to my favorites :D

Sunday, November 12, 2006 at 12:19 am | Permalink
  4. R. Scott Clark wrote:

And this relates to Calvinism how?

Scott

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 1:52 am | Permalink

I certainly don’t intend to relate it to all Calvinists, but often the conception of God’s power that is portrayed by Calvinists is much like this cartoon. The God who lifts a pinky and remakes the universe. I see this as contrast to how God’s action in the incarnation and death of Christ on the cross is proclaimed by Scripture to be “the power of God and the wisdom of God” (1 Cor. 1-2).

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 5:51 am | Permalink
  6. Jeff Barrett wrote:

The Calvinistic Doctrines teach that God is anything but “absent.” On the contrary, Open Theism, Pelagianism, and Catholicism all purport in their own way that God stands across a chasm, merely calling for us to cross it in some human way, such community, willpower, and presbytery respectively.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 7:39 pm | Permalink
  7. D.W. Congdon wrote:

Yeah, I don’t think Calvinism is the proper target here, but rather classical theism, which Calvinism simply applied to the area of salvation and election.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Yes, perhaps I should have stated it better. Classical theism is what I had in mind. And I certainly didn’t have Calvin in mind! I admire his doctrine of God very much.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 1:57 am | Permalink
  9. R. Scott Clark wrote:

Calvin and the Calvinists, contra the frequent caricature, embraced Luther’s theologia crucis. They expressed it a little differently but the message was and remains the same. Please see the Heidelberg Catechism for an excellent expression of this doctrine. I’m translating Caspar Olevianus’ 1579 commentary on Romans just now and it’s shot through with the theologia crucis.

rsc