A Book For Each Doctrine

Following Ben’s helpful list of a book (well, actually two books) for each doctrine, here is my own humble list.  While I am not as well read as Ben, maybe someone will still find it useful.

I did, however post a similar list a while back, which people could consult as well.

Theological method:

Henri de Lubac, The Splendor of the Church
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Sanctorum Communio

Eschatology:
Jurgen Moltmann, The Coming of God
Richard Bauckham & Trevor Hart, Hope against Hope

1. adamsteward wrote:

Good list. I think The Spirit of Life, despite its hideous cover, has some of Moltmann’s best stuff – especially on the justification of oppressors. You’ve got him on there twice, though, so maybe you should think about replacing him with, say, B. Hinn’s Good Morning Holy Spirit.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Heh heh, yeah right. I decided not abide by Ben’s one book by one author criteria. I think it’s still pretty evenly spread around.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 2:06 pm | Permalink
  3. Michael Westmoreland-White wrote:

I haven’t gotten to VanHoozer’s much celebrated work, yet. I plan on it. But I have to say that Lindbeck’s work is VERY overrated.

For method, I recommend Avery Dulles’ The Craft of Theology and Yoder’s Preface to Theology.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Maybe. But I still think it indellbily marked theological method, and as such is an important read.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 3:05 pm | Permalink
  5. Halden,

You’ve got to read more Barth!

Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Oh, I intentionally left Barth out because of course he could make it into a lot of these categories (not least of which would be theological method!). But, yes of course I need to read more of him.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 4:25 pm | Permalink
  7. Mike wrote:

I’ve been reading your blog for awhile, and after doing a search within for Vanhoozer, found this post.

I mention this, as I came across book in the library by Francesca Aran Murphy titled, “God is Not a Story: Realism Revisited”. Oxford University Press published it this year (2007); she takes on narrative theology, but doesn’t have any references I could find for Vanhoozer. Enjoy!

Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 10:51 pm | Permalink