On The Rooftops: Theological Proclamations

Ben’s theological confessions meme is taking off at the moment.  And, as I’m the kind of person who likes to steal, bastardize, and parrot ideas, here’s something similar: Theological Proclamations.  Of course the utility of something like this is that you can be a lot less contrite and confessiony about things and feel free to let the theological crankiness roam.  I have no illusions about this becoming another meme, but if you feel like posting your own, go for it!

I proclaim:  That Kim Fabricius has done what Carl Henry and evangelicals everywhere have always dreamed of: making the word ‘proposition’ into something theologically tolerable.  If only they liked the content of his propositions…

I proclaim:  That narrative theology is not a dead end!

I proclaim:  That Radical Orthodoxy is pretty much all bullshit.  Maybe all of it.

I proclaim:  That one of my biggest theological fantasies is beating John Milbank about the head and shoulders with tire iron.

I proclaim:  That Thomas Aquinas is neither the best nor worst of the western theological tradition.  He is great on some things and out to lunch on some others.

I proclaim:  That Anabaptism and Roman Catholicism have the most to teach the church universal.

I proclaim:  That monks, not politicos, economists, or soldiers deserve the credit for the preservation of western civilization.

I proclaim:  That infant baptism obscures the gospel and is one of the most problematic ecclesial practices to come out of Christendom.  And it did come out of Christendom.

I proclaim:  That any theologian worth his salt should drink beer!

I proclaim:  That evangelicalism in North America (at least) is a theological and ecclesial dead end.

I proclaim:  That  Moltmann my be careless and wrong about a lot of things, but he deserves a really, really, careful reading.  And you can learn some great truths from everything he writes.

I proclaim:  That German Theology is not the future.  In fact its pretty much run its course.

I proclaim:  That Lesslie Newbigin is the only modern authority that has carte blanche authority on missiological issues.

I proclaim:  That the future of theology will be in eccleisal communities, not the academy.  In fact I don’t really think that theology can really be done in the academy at all.  It just lives off its ecclesial inertia.

1. d. w. horstkoetter wrote:

oooo, good idea. I like cranky. I think I’ll try to put together a list too.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 at 7:33 pm | Permalink
  2. d. w. horstkoetter wrote:

And done. Check it here.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 at 9:03 pm | Permalink
  3. Fred wrote:

I proclaim that I sometimes like “to steal, bastardize, and parrot ideas” myself.

So, here’s my proclamations, which share more than a title with yours!

Thursday, June 28, 2007 at 9:22 pm | Permalink
  4. Patrick wrote:

Do you think that the academy might be able to contribute to ecclesial intertia (in terms of persisting movement rather than a stand-still) if there was a greater continuity between the academy and ecclesial bodies?

One of the most frustrating issues that I’ve come across since walking through MBC’s doors has been the whole “Multnomah isn’t the church” issue. If it’s not the church, then why are they teaching the Scriptures? Offering Eucharist? Etc. I’ve often wondered if there might be some salvaging of the academy if it was willing to be an extension of the church whose target ends are clearly defined in rigorous intellectual pursuits rathern than persisting in its “para-church” status. Maybe if the academy returned to its monastic roots it could regain some of that momentum…?

That said, I PROCLIAM that I don’t really know what we mean when we use the term “para-church”, and it most often feels like a cop-out category to me.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 at 10:53 pm | Permalink
  5. kim fabricius wrote:

Except for #1, these proclamations are so good, and often profound, that they should be nailed to a church door – perhaps on Reformation Day!

Cheers,
    Kim

Thursday, June 28, 2007 at 11:38 pm | Permalink
  6. Ben Myers wrote:

This has gotta be the best post yet.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 at 11:46 pm | Permalink
  7. Aaron G wrote:

Agreed about R.O. and Milbank, though not as violenly.

Friday, June 29, 2007 at 1:07 am | Permalink
  8. I thoroughly enjoyed reading these. I’ve had my suspicions about RO but could never flat out say it was bunk since I could never understand what its proponents were saying.

Friday, June 29, 2007 at 8:02 am | Permalink

Patrick, yes, I do at least hope that the academy could be redeemed. The idea of the academy returning to monastic roots is an interesting one that I will have to think on more.

I also don’t know what ‘para-church’ means. I think it must mean something like “I want to be a Christian but don’t want to commit to anything concrete.”

Friday, June 29, 2007 at 9:01 am | Permalink
  10. RT Jones wrote:

This seems like fun. Here’s my humble offering.

Friday, June 29, 2007 at 10:08 am | Permalink
  11. adamsteward wrote:

Props on the beer. For good measure, she ought to enjoy a clove cigarrette now and then. Or a Camel Wide for that matter.

Thanks for the word on Moltmann. I feel like I’m always skulking around trying to hide the fact that I’ve learned a ton (and a times been really moved by) his books. I think theology of hope and the crucified god are essential reading. I think part of people’s problem with him might be that he is so freaking repetetive – but it can be a good thing to be hit in the face with a certain idea over and over again. Especially if it’s a good idea, which the two ideas in those books definitely are.

Saturday, June 30, 2007 at 9:03 am | Permalink
  12. Caroline wrote:

hmm, sent here by Maggi Dawn..

a bit puzzled by an anabaptist tendency to beat Millbank…

ah well I never understood much :-)

Sunday, July 1, 2007 at 1:23 pm | Permalink