David Bentley Hart in one Sentence

Earlier today one of my housemates saw my copy of David Bentley Hart’s The Beauty of the Infinite lying on the table where I was reading, and after looking through it briefly asked me, “So, what’s his main point in this book?”

I responded without hesitation:  “Christianity is awesome and beautiful and everything else sucks.”

So much Hart hate. He might be a bit caustic at times, but he’s brilliant and that book is incredible.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

I’ve actually come to love Hart after getting really pissed off the first time through the book. It is amazing.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

I definitely understand where you are coming from. After going through a similar process with Milbank, it didn’t take me long to warm up to heart. I’m at the point where I can’t read more than 5 or 6 pages of the constructive portion of tBotI without dissolving in to doxology.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

and by heart, I mean Hart.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

This post actually reminded me of something this morning. Have you seen Hart’s article in First Things on Jenson? It is a must read for companion piece to The Beauty of the Infinite for Jenson fans who might take issue with Hart’s tone in the first part of the book.

Monday, December 10, 2007 at 9:57 am | Permalink
  6. WTM wrote:

Such a true summary, Halden. Well done! I must say, however, that I have not – as you have – come to love Hart (yet?).

Monday, December 10, 2007 at 8:30 pm | Permalink
  7. Richard H wrote:

The book is on my Christmas list, so I remain unitiated.

As an uniniate, I wonder if it makes sense to ask if Hart says what you say he says about Christianity or about God.

Hopefully I’ll know better in a couple of weeks.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 7:35 pm | Permalink