J. Kameron Carter: A Theological Account of Race

With all the recent media attention being given to black liberation theology, I am overjoyed that at long last J. Kameron Carter’s book, Race: A Theological Account is set to be out this September.  I have literally been waiting for this book for about three years.  I’m sure it will be worth the wait.  Here is the blurb from the publisher:

“This groundbreaking monograph promises to open a new chapter in black theology. J. Kameron Carter argues that black theology’s intellectual impoverishment in the Church and the academy is the result of its theologically shaky presuppositions, which are based largely on liberal Protestant convictions. He critiques the work of such noted scholars as Albert Raboteau, Charles Long and James Cone, and argues that black theology must rebuild itself on completely new theological foundations. He lays these foundations by means of a remarkable synthesis between African-American religious history and Christian orthodoxy. Carter urges black theologians to look back beyond the Enlightenment and the rise of race theory, and to bring patristic Christology into conversation with the modern construction of race and being. He himself draws primarily on the writings of Irenaeus of Lyons, Gregory of Nyssa, and Maximos the Confessor in constructing his innovative Christology.”

1. He’ll be speaking at Columbia in April. I definitely plan on going.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at 10:43 pm | Permalink
  2. Bobby Grow wrote:

Excellent . . . I look forward to this as well.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 3:14 am | Permalink
  3. adamsteward wrote:

Best news I’ve heard all day. I’m pretty sure I’ve exhausted his output of essays so far.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 11:57 am | Permalink
  4. Jason Oliver wrote:

I’m excited about this book!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I’ve read one chapter from it that he gave out at a conference a couple years ago. It’s going to be an incredible book.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 12:41 pm | Permalink
  6. Matt Marston wrote:

I’m taking Christology from Dr. Carter at the moment. I don’t know how much of it is in the book (I hope most of it), but his constructive Christology is exciting and challenging. And it all centers around what Halden brought up in his previous post: a proper Christian theology of Israel.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 1:42 pm | Permalink
  7. I will definitely get this book.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 7:51 pm | Permalink
  8. Mike wrote:

Just got my copy…it’s a distraction, because it’s so good, and I’m trying to finish up a paper!

When will you blog on this book?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Mine is arriving today. So soon!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 11:52 am | Permalink