Irenaeus: In search of a good translation

Do any of my faithful readers know of a good translation of Irenaeus’ Against Heresies?  I’ve read it in the old Roberts translation in the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers series, but I want something more servicable.  Who’s got the scoop for me?

1. Ben wrote:

As you may know, Balthasar put together his own anthology of Irenaeus’s writings, “The Scandal of the Incarnation: Against All Heresies.”

And for an excellent overview of the Irenaean influence on vB, check out Mongrain’s “Systematic Thought of Hans Urs von Balthasar.”

I only found one other English translation, which was done in 1992.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Yes, I actually have both of the Balthasar books you mention. I did see the Newman Publishing translation of AH, but alas, so far it’s only volume 1.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 3:10 pm | Permalink
  3. Aaron G wrote:

Halden, what you’re looking for is Robert Grant’s translation and biography in Routledge’s series. The title is simply Irenaeus of Lyons.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I’ve got that one on order. I was just hoping that maybe a complete translation of AH might be coming out or something. Unlikely, I’m afraid.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 3:49 pm | Permalink
  5. Phil Sumpter wrote:

You can read the entire of Dominic Unger’s 1992 translation for free in Google Books here. It’s searchable too!

Friday, March 28, 2008 at 5:36 am | Permalink
  6. nick wrote:

Halden, If you do here of a new complete translation of AH, make sure to post about it. I’d love to get my hands on a copy.

Friday, March 28, 2008 at 8:38 am | Permalink
  7. Andrew Bourne wrote:

I do not know if this might be helpful have you had a look at Eric Osborne`s book on Irenaeus that might be of use

Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 9:17 am | Permalink
  8. adamsteward wrote:

Phil, like most of the new texts on Google books, this is only a preview. It shows you alot, but unfortunately omits many of the pages.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 9:31 am | Permalink
  9. Phil Snider wrote:

I’d also vote for the Grant edition. It is readable and its introduction was excellent.

Phil