South Park on Gender Crossing

In case some of you are wondering what my promised future post on transgender issues will be like, allow me to give you some idea of the general direction that it will be coming from.  Now, if you are offended by, well, offensive things, then by all means do not watch this.  If, however you don’t mind the crass and the banal, then you absolutely should watch this episode of South Park which centers on Mr. Garrison, the school teacher getting a sex change and the results thereof.  I’ll not say more at this point, other than that this episode is social criticism of the highest order.

1. americandust wrote:

South Park is really good when it does social criticism, unfortunately sometimes they just do a silly episode with no real meaning.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 11:20 am | Permalink
  2. Ben wrote:

The entirety of the South Park corpus online!? This is dangerous… Must resist urge to watch them all!

Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 11:44 am | Permalink
  3. adamsteward wrote:

“But I feel like a dolphin trapped in a man’s body!”

Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

“There’s nothing crazy about wanting to look on the outside how you feel on the inside!” Priceless.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 12:48 pm | Permalink
  5. saint egregious wrote:

Such certitude after watching a half hour cartoon and browsing one memoir! I am surprised at the speed with which you have rendered your judgment. Why not a bit more lingering on the subject, even an engagement with theological positions a bit more nuanced that the watered down Harold Bloom/South Park line you are espousing?
    Your impulsiveness and lack of theological rigor here are rather shocking in light of much of your other writing and gives this reader, at least, pause.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

I’ve certainly done more lingering and thinking on this matter than you seem to have assumed. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I guess I haven’t mastered the art of exhaustively transcribing every aspect of how I come to various conclusions in blog posts just yet!

Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 9:45 pm | Permalink
  7. Everything online? Finally, I may yet catch up to you Halden.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 9:48 pm | Permalink
  8. You haven’t even mastered the art of sarcasm, Halden! If you’ve read and thought so much, why, then, lead with such drivel? It’s beneath you.

Friday, April 4, 2008 at 6:48 am | Permalink

Look man, I’ve already been patient with the fact that you post pseudonymously here, something I don’t generally allow. But by all means if you want to just keep taking cheap shots because this rubbed the wrong way, then go ahead.

I’m now off to go and find a guru of the ancient art of sarcasm to study under.

Friday, April 4, 2008 at 9:33 am | Permalink
  10. saint egregious wrote:

I’ll stop. You’ve humbled me with your wit, patience, and parrhesia.

Friday, April 4, 2008 at 11:31 am | Permalink