Barth’s Church Dogmatics: New Edition

Barth enthusiasts are all excited about the forthcoming new edition of the Church Dogmatics. Currently it is available at a 55% discount from Eisenbraums, a deal that is not likely to be beat anytime soon. Here is the publisher’s description of the new set:

Karl Barth’s Church Dogmatics is one of the major theological works of the 20th century. The Swiss-German theologian Karl Barth (1886-1968) was the most original and significant Reformed theologian of the twentieth century. He was one of the central figures in the Confessing Church in Germany, which opposed the Nazi Regime. Barth began the Church Dogmatics in 1932 and continued working on its thirteen volumes until the end of his life. Barth’s writings continue to guide and instruct the preaching and teaching of pastors and academics worldwide. The English translation was prepared by a team of scholars and edited by G. W. Bromiley and T. F. Torrance and published from 1936.

A team of scholars and specialists at Princeton Theological Seminary have started revising the existing translation. The first step was the translation of Greek, Latin, Hebrew and French passages into English. The original is now presented alongside the English translation. This makes the work more reader friendly and accessible to the growing number of students who do not have a working knowledge of the ancient languages. This new edition with translations is presented for the first time in print.

The new edition is presented in a new bigger format and broken down into 31 paperback volumes.

1. R.O. Flyer wrote:

Yeah, whatever. As you know I just scored the “old” set for less than 200 bucks, so I’m happy with that. This is a great deal though, no doubt.

Friday, October 24, 2008 at 12:59 pm | Permalink
  2. Gabaon wrote:

Huh?! Less than US$200?!!!

How and where did you get that offer? Could I get it too?

Friday, October 24, 2008 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I think I’m going to sell my old set to take the sting out of this new one. I’ll probably be able to get at least $200 for mine…I’m excited. Call me the fetishizer of Barth!

Friday, October 24, 2008 at 1:28 pm | Permalink
  4. I wonder if they’ll take an old set as a trade in…. I’m not sure what to do with my old set. Its in great condition, but this new set sounds really compelling.

Friday, October 24, 2008 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Bring it out to Oregon this December and we’ll buy it from you at Windows.

Friday, October 24, 2008 at 1:40 pm | Permalink
  6. Nathan wrote:

I’ll buy a 200.00 set! Hah. But seriously, I would.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 at 9:55 pm | Permalink
  7. JBH wrote:

Halden,

That link was broken. Could you link it again? Thanks

Monday, October 27, 2008 at 8:21 am | Permalink

That should be fixed now.

Monday, October 27, 2008 at 9:44 am | Permalink
  9. R.O. Flyer wrote:

Now, I’ve been rethinking this. Maybe I should sell my old set and buy this one. However, the set I have now is hardcover, and isn’t this paperback?

Monday, October 27, 2008 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Yeah, that’s the downside, it is just in paperback. God only knows what it will cost in hc.

Monday, October 27, 2008 at 12:07 pm | Permalink
  11. James wrote:

Sure, but how much would it cost to ship something like that to, say, London? Website doesn’t seem to say. I’m thinking at least $100.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 at 12:22 pm | Permalink
  12. Drew wrote:

R.O. Flyer,
    I’ve been looking for complete hardcover edition of the Church Dogmatics in that price range for a while now. If you still have the set, and you’re still interested in selling it, please contact me:
    johnsodrew@gmail.com