More on Obushma

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPBoz-aQszQ]

I posted this in the other thread, but check out Larison’s commentary on this exact phenomenon, in which he makes compelling use of several sections of Bacevich’s recent book:

Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 2:04 pm | Permalink
  2. Roger Flyer wrote:

No mention of prosperity in Obama’s words…

Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 4:37 pm | Permalink
  3. Matt Wiebe wrote:

I laughed when I watched this to keep from crying.

A more eloquent imperialism.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Permalink
  4. derek wrote:

i think this video is extremely funny!
    obama did not just recite bush though. he also used clinton, carter, reagan, kennedy, and lincoln.

check it out

Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Permalink
  5. dave wrote:

It’s funny and sad at the same time.

I’m wondering if the common themes that run through the political rhetoric of prominent American figures have much connectedness? What does it say about what an American ethos, or an American ideal, is? I suppose it is bound up in manifest destiny talk, the Enlightenment ideas that influenced the founders, exceptionalism, and/or some amalgamation of all of these things.

Has anyone read or come across Richard Slotkin?

Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Dave,

Seriously check out Bacevich. He has a pretty compelling thesis for how we arrived at this hegemonic imperial presidency.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 7:02 pm | Permalink
  7. dave wrote:

Thanks for that Hill. I worked through it throughout the course of last night, and it was a tour de force. It weaved together a lot of various strands that I’ve found myself picking up on over the past few years.

What do you think our response should be in light of his critique? It seems like the antidote, if you want to use that term, is to first start by relinquishing the obsession with excess.

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 8:21 am | Permalink