Free Lectures by Robert Jenson: The Regula Fidei and Scripture

Jason has recently finished posting notes on Robert Jenson’s 2009 Burn Lectures delivered at the University of Otago on the theme, ‘The Regula Fidei and Scripture’:

These lectures are fantastic examples of why Jenson is such a great theologian, and, equally importantly they point out the importance and vitality of the task of theological engagement with Scripture.

Even more exciting is the fact that Jason also has now helpfully pointed us to video podcasts of those lectures which are now available for download as MP4s:

• Lecture 1: Creed, Scripture, and their Modern Alienation
  • Lecture 2: The Tanakh as Christian Scripture
  • Lecture 3: The New Testament and the Regula Fidei
  • Lecture 4: The Apostles’ Creed
  • Lecture 5: The Creed as Critical Theory of Scripture
  • Lecture 6: Genesis 1:1 and Luke 1:26-38

Thanks to Jason for this wonderful service. For Robert Jenson fanatics like myself, this is wonderful news.

Is this post visible to others?

Friday, April 3, 2009 at 10:23 am | Permalink
  2. Halden,

You’re welcome. I’m delighted that people have found these posts/lectures so helpful.

Re. ‘Is this post visible to others?’: Only via the feed, and via the ‘Recent Comments’ section of your blog. I couldn’t see it on the main page.

Cheers (and thanks for the heads up about Yoder’s The Original Revolution; thoroughly enjoying it).

Jason

Friday, April 3, 2009 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Something weird is going on. The first list of lectures links to files on your computer or something, but nothing happens when I click on them.

Friday, April 3, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Also, I can’t see this post on the front page, only as a link in the recent comments.

Friday, April 3, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

What the hell? I’ll try to fix this…

Friday, April 3, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Permalink
  6. JBH wrote:

Is it possible to fix the link? Thanks.

Monday, April 6, 2009 at 11:14 am | Permalink

What do you make of this, Halden (from here http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=3405)

I have long thought that Niebuhr’s book, for all its individual insights, was based on a false setting of the question. Whatever preposition you put between Christ and culture, its mere presence there marks and enforces the supposition that Christ and culture are entities different in kind. But it is of course only the risen Christ who can now have a relation to a culture, and this living Christ’s body is the church. And the church – with its scriptures, odd rituals and peculiar forms of government – is plainly itself a culture.

Therefore the real question is always about the relation of the church culture to some other culture with which the church’s mission involves it at a time and place. And I do not think the relation can be the same in every case. During the time of “Christendom,” the culture of the church and the culture of the West were barely distinguishable. I do not think this “Constantinian settlement” was avoidable. When the empire said, “Come over and help us hold civilization together,” should the bishops have just refused?

As to Christendom’s consequences for faith, some were beneficial and some were malign, as is usual with great historical configurations. During the present collapse of Christendom and its replacement by an antinomian and would-be pagan culture, confrontation must of course be more the style.

Monday, April 6, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

I think I’ll post the interview and think on it for a bit…

Monday, April 6, 2009 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Yeah it’s pretty cool stuff. Maybe this will motivate me to actually read Jenson.

Monday, April 6, 2009 at 1:35 pm | Permalink
  10. Halden. Just letting you know that the links to these have now been updated on my site. Cheers.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 6:44 pm | Permalink