Summer Reading

Since everyone else in the friggin blogosphere is posting lists of things they’re hoping to read this summer, here’s mine. I tried not to get too carried away. If I can do this, I will have done plenty:

• Karl Barth, Church Dogmatics—Keep/get back on track with my reading plan (I’m about three weeks behind right now, for those who have been wondering)
  • John Howard Yoder
    • Read the new edition of Christian Attitudes to War, Peace, and Revolution
    • Finally read Preface to Theology all the way through
    • Same for The Jewish-Christian Schism Revisited
  • Warren Carter—Some great New Testament stuff I’ve been meaning to get to, especially on the gospel of John as a counter-imperial document
    • John and Empire
    • John: Storyteller, Interpreter, Evangelist
    • The Roman Empire and the New Testament
  • Articles to Write
    • Something for PTR on J. Kameron Carter’s book on race, possibly dealing with his use of analogy
    • An entry for this year’s Colin Gunton Memorial essay contest on whether or not ecumenical theology has a future (I am planning on giving a clear answer to the question)

1. Nathan wrote:

Not the new Dan Brown?!?

Personally, I hope to read a lot of fiction and Wendell Berry essays.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 4:15 pm | Permalink
  2. R.O. Flyer wrote:

Whatever happened to that Bonhoeffer Blog conference? Did that ever happen?

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Its still in the works but has been lamentably delayed. Predominately by me.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Permalink
  4. R.O. Flyer wrote:

You should make that happen at some point.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Permalink
  5. Skip Newby wrote:

Have you ruled out the “Left Behind” series for your list?

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 5:02 pm | Permalink
  6. You should add “Watchmen,” if you haven’t read it yet.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Need more contributors. You in?

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

I totally have. And its the awesomest.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Permalink
  9. R.O. Flyer wrote:

Perhaps-is there a particular topic?

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Permalink
  10. R.O. Flyer wrote:

Some real meaty apocalyptic stuff in here, I’ve heard.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Something related to Ethics. Anything in that range is fine.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 5:13 pm | Permalink
  12. R.O. Flyer wrote:

OK, if you don’t mind me just extracting a chunk of my thesis.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

As long as your thesis doesn’t suck!

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 5:54 pm | Permalink
  14. R.O. Flyer wrote:

Perhaps I’ve had the wrong impression about this venue. I thought “sucking” was pretty much the basic criterion around here!

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Oh you Minnesotans and your comebacks…

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Permalink
  16. R.O. Flyer wrote:

You know, I still consider YOU a Minnesotan–of the very particular South St. Paul variety.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

I’m pretty pure Portland, I’m afraid. Nevertheless, I thank you.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 6:19 pm | Permalink
  18. dan wrote:

Actually, if I recall correctly, Warren Carter started off with counter-imperial readings of Matthew (cf. ‘Matthew and Empire’ and ‘Matthew and the Marginalized’) and only came to John more recently. Regardless, all of his stuff is exceptional and I consider him to be one of the best and most exciting NT scholars writing today.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Permalink
  19. Scott Savage wrote:

How about The Surrogates?

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 8:05 pm | Permalink
  20. Bobby Grow wrote:

Sounds like an good idea, Halden! You’ve inspired me to put together my own “Summer” reading list . . . I’m looking for some feedback on a few things (which I think some of you all might be able to help me on). So if you have the chance click on over and give me some help . . .

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 1:41 am | Permalink
  21. kim fabricius wrote:

Just remember, guys, that one question the good Lord will not be asking you on Judgement Day is: “Did you finish all the books on your reading list?” ;)

In fact, the best reading list is one that is intrinsically unfinishable: it acts as a memento mori.

Btw, I keep my book “in-tray” in three or four stacks beneath my desk. I intend to buy Milbank’s next offering and place it at the bottom of the last stack – and, perennially piling new Amazon deliveries on top, keep it there. And I will smile every time I look at it, experiencing a deep peace, knowing that it will never be read, world without end, amen.

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 10:01 am | Permalink
  22. Nathan wrote:

In Lent I grab books from the bottom of the stack.

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 10:15 am | Permalink
  23. Bobby Grow wrote:

Kim said:

I’ve started the Dogmatics twice in my life, this will represent my 3rd start; I’m glad the Lord is the Lord of 2nd and 3rd and so on, chances :-).

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 11:28 am | Permalink
  24. roger flyer wrote:

Don’t forget Purpose Driven Life. ;)

and in case you missed it
    The Prayer of Jabez. (How’s it working for you?)

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 11:42 am | Permalink