Why does the Devil have all the good drinks?

The Diablo: A truly great tequila drink. Never again will you think that its just for margaritas.

Over the last few months as I’ve plunged in my latest hobby, the creation of classical and obscure cocktails, I’ve found it funny that so many of the drinks are named after the Prince of Darkness. Two of the best cocktails you’ll ever have are entitled the Satan’s Whiskers and the Diablo.

Of course, one of the very best drinks (actually  a family of drinks) ever created is called the Corpse Reviver, which one could, I suppose argue is a reference to the resurrection. But since the resurrection is not supposed to be merely the resuscitation of a corpse, I don’ think that quite works.

This leaves me to think that a truly Christian cocktail is yet to be invented. I think we need something called “The Jesus.” And it should be some sort of salute to the hilarious antagonist in the Big Lebowski as well. When I make it all let you know. Until then, we muse cede the point that the kingdom of darkness has all the good cocktails.

1. One of my favorite drinks is the Godfather. Too bad it’s not “God the Father”.

Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 10:48 am | Permalink

You could say that this whole venture of mine is quite biblical in that we are explicitly commanded to “test the spirits to see if they are from God” (1 John 4:1).

Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 10:50 am | Permalink
  3. Patrick wrote:

Well, as long as they don’t call it TruBlood.

Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 11:10 am | Permalink
  4. Chris Donato wrote:

“Sex on the Beach”? Chalk one up for the kingdom of light!

Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Permalink
  5. Tomas wrote:

My community once combined Vanilla Vodka with some orange soda for communion (we were out of wine, and someone was sick so we needed alcohol to sterilize it). It was so good, we end up calling it the Blood of Christ (or the BOC).

Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 1:57 pm | Permalink
  6. And therefore duly reject any kind of cosmopolitans, either from the bartender or Appiah.

Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

And any notion of ice in scotch?

Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Permalink
  8. kim fabricius wrote:

Contrary to popular opinion, the devil is a teetotaller, a recovering alcoholic since he got blind drunk and started throwing barstools and harps around heaven – until the bouncers came. Hell is dry. Why do you think it’s called “hell”? And the devil is such a bitch?

Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

These are all absolutely valid points. I’m pretty sure the devil is impotent, too.

Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Permalink
  10. It was one cube. One, single solitary cube.

Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

I only had sex with that other woman one time. One single, solitary time.

Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Permalink
  12. james wrote:

If you don’t know why the drinks are named after the devil, you are not doing it right.

Friday, July 3, 2009 at 7:09 am | Permalink
  13. roger flyer wrote:

The Dude.

It is whatever you want it to be at that hour!

Friday, July 3, 2009 at 9:38 am | Permalink
  14. adamsteward wrote:

Well, I did invent the Willis the Bruce. I haven’t copywrited that, though, so you could probably rename it The Jesus.

Friday, July 3, 2009 at 10:23 am | Permalink

No the Jesus must be an original creation. What was Willis the Bruce again?

Friday, July 3, 2009 at 10:35 am | Permalink
  16. arlynjj wrote:

What I tend to order is an Old Fashioned Bénédictine (if they’re able to make it), which is basically the old-fashioned Old Fashioned exchanging bourbon for Bénédictine liqueur. It’s very nice … smooth with just a little bit of spice.

The bottles of Bénédictine are sold with the initials D.O.M. on the label standing for Deo Optimo Maximo, or God, Most Good, Most Great (forgive my sloppy latin.)

B&B is also a fairly common (I think) drink, which is simply Bénédictine and Brandy. Bénédictine is also nice mixed 1:1 with a good cognac.

Saturday, July 18, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Permalink