Best AAR Discovery

I think my favorite find of this year’s AAR was McLean’s pub. Despite the undeniable weakness of most Canadian beer, you can’t deny the unequivocal awesomeness of drinking beer from your own tap:

photo3

1. Zac wrote:

Awesomeness indeed, however, I must, as a Canadian, protest the apparent “undeniable weakness of most canadian beer”. Is it not indeed, the opposite, that American beer is mostly “weaker”?

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I suppose I should make clear that I’m speaking from the perspective of Portland, Oregon and its cornucopia of microbrews. But yeah, I’ll give you that Molson is definitely better than Budweiser/Coors/Miller.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 11:03 am | Permalink
  3. R.O. Flyer wrote:

Feeling a little jealous right now.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 12:08 pm | Permalink
  4. Steve Martin wrote:

I doubt, Halden, you’ve tried “most Canadian beer”, especially if you take Molson as representative. We have a host of microbrews, as well as some decent midi-brews. If I may generalize and risk being flamed, I’d say that no self-respecting Canadian beer drinker would touch Molsons.

On a different note: I had to miss this year’s festivities in Montreal. Does anyone know if the conversation between James Cone and Cornel West was recorded and is available anywhere?

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I had some of the microbrews in Montreal. They were good. Just, to my taste, a notch below what I think the Pacific NW has to offer.

I realize that these are touchy topics.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Permalink
  6. Scott wrote:

James Cone and Cornel West in conversation? Sounds fascinating!

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 12:49 pm | Permalink
  7. Gillian wrote:

Hmm, come up to just north of the Pacific NW and sample some of the microbrews in Victoria/Vancouver. We’ve got dozens of excellent ones here! I will second Steve’s comment about self-respecting Canadian beer drinkers not touching Molsons.
    Interesting that a post on Canadian beer is what finally gets me to comment here… I’ll analyze that later over a beer.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 2:37 pm | Permalink
  8. I pray that the Lord will reveal to you all that New Zealand beers are the best in the world. After one Monteith’s Black you will never go back.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I sense you have never been to Oregon. There simply is no informed disagreement about the fact that there are no better beers anywhere else in the world. It’s actually a matter of status confessionis for me.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Permalink
  10. erin wrote:

As a fan of Oregonian brews, I am inclined to agree, though I must insist Arrogant Bastard keeps CA respectably in the conversation.
    Humbly yours,
    -E

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Basically all states bordering Oregon receive some quality beer awesomeness spillover.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Permalink
  12. roger flyer wrote:

Come on! You’re stooping. I’ll take a Bud Light, thanks.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 4:38 pm | Permalink
  13. roger flyer wrote:

Milwaukee still is the beer town?

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Permalink
  14. I have not been to Oregon, but I sense you have not been to New Zealand? I feel no need to compete with you on this for I am sure that on the last day the Lord will vindicate me as I remain faithful to his appointed New Zealand ale’s.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 5:01 pm | Permalink
  15. erin wrote:

I can live with that.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

I admit I have not been to New Zealand. However, unlike you I do feel the need to “compel you to come in” to the eschatological feast that is proleptically given to us in Oregon’s beers.

I wish to persuade you simply because I mourn over all those who have been cast into outer darkness with weeping and gnashing of teeth, lacking the plenitude of northwest beers.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Permalink
  17. Doug Johnson wrote:

I’m an American living in Toronto and if you didn’t find any good beer in Montreal, it’s either because they only serve Quebecer beer or you were given bad guidance. There are a half dozen beers that are fairly reliably on tap here in Ontario that blow American beer on tap to smithereens.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 9:52 pm | Permalink
  18. mshedden wrote:

AMEN! A good Midwest beer bears witness to the Christ but is not the Christ. People and their Oregon/New Zealand beers are merely losing sight of who the Christ is and falling for those who would colonize their imaginations (ie the Antichrist).
    Check the lectionary reading this week folks…

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 10:09 pm | Permalink
  19. Mark Godin wrote:

A statement such as ‘the undeniable weakness of most Canadian beer’ seems to be designed to get a war of words going, as well as being a slur on one’s hosts for the duration of the AAR. But maybe it was the wrong beer at the wrong time. Molson and ‘some microbrews’ have been mentioned in the comment thread so far. May I ask, which microbrews did you try, if you can remember? Surely you could not have tried admittedly-no-longer-micro-but-still-good beers like Maudite or Fin du monde and think of Canadian beers as weak?

Of course, everyone has their favourites. And I doubt that I would ever say that any American beer, micro or otherwise, reaches the heights of either my favourite Canadian brews–such as Mill Street Coffee Porter or the cask version of Wellington County Ale–or favourite Scottish ones–such as Fraoch or Dark Island. (I am a Canadian currently living in Scotland.)

But in the interest of theological collaboration, I want to make a constructive suggestion: that we hold an International Theological Beer Summit. Everyone who wants to take part would bring bottles of their favourite to share during the time-honoured tradition of theological discussion over pints, with the twist of tasting what each participant likes.

Any takers? Maybe at the next AAR?

P.S. I note that I am not the first person induced into making a first-time comment on this blog because of an insult to Canadian beer. Perhaps more study on hops, malt, nationalism and theology is needed….)

Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Apologies to all. To a point. I suppose I should have made clear that I did not mean to imply that Canadian beer, taken a whole is weaker than American beer, taken as a whole.

What I meant, and still stand by, is that Oregon beer specifically, is at a level of quality that forces one to find all other beers somewhat week by comparison. I am sure there are many delightful micro brews, etc in Canada, New Zealand and elsewhere. However, no one can touch Oregon. I am sorry, these are just the facts. Anyone curious about this is welcome to stay at my house, free of charge and I will take you around to the breweries located only in Portland, and after that experience I defy anyone to claim that they have ever found their equal.

Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 9:07 am | Permalink
  21. dan wrote:

I’ll take you up on that offer. I’m currently renewing my passport, so I’ll keep you posted.

Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 12:19 pm | Permalink