Louie and Jesus

A brief plug: the best combination of hilarity and profundity on TV right now for my money is Louie (the brainchild of the star, comedian Louis C.K.). The most recent episode, “God” deals in a shockingly profound way with theological issues related to growing up with Catholic guilt, and the all-too-common (across confessional lines) abusive fixation on the suffering of Jesus.

Very much worth a viewing. Intended for mature audiences, etc.

1. Zack wrote:

What do you mean by ‘abusive fixation on the suffering of Jesus’?

Friday, September 10, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Check out the episode and it should be pretty clear.

Friday, September 10, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Permalink
  3. Steven D wrote:

Spot on with this recommendation.

Friday, September 10, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Permalink
  4. Brad Johnson wrote:

The re-crucifixion of Christ was a pretty splendid shot.

Friday, September 10, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Permalink
  5. aquaman wrote:

This is still on my DVR, because I too thought it was profound. Glad I’m not the only one who thought so.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Permalink
  6. Pat wrote:

I only wish that this were profound. (Sorry to disagree “Arthur”) I really like Louis C.K., but I think all the episode shows is that he still has the view of a 10 year old (or less?) when it comes to Christianity. His comedy that prefaces the story sets the table that this is an emotive screed, and not anything terribly insightful about the nature of either guilt or forgiveness. His mom comes off as alternately compassionate but vacuous.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 8:52 am | Permalink