Two extremes

If you want to read something incredibly stupid, make sure to check out Mark Tooley’s dreck, “Mennonite Takeover.” This lovely piece of “writing” wonders if the malignant Neo-Anabaptists of today will someday repent of all the mean things they say about “traditional American Christianity,” you know, since mainline Christians have apologized profusely for killing all those Anabaptists back in the day it seems only fair. . .

On the other hand if you want to read something incredibly good, check out the second part of K.J. Swanson’s three-part article critiquing the politics of gender in evangelicalism and the Twilight series.

1. Rod wrote:

Halden, Tooley’s article was the dumbest piece of tomfoolery I have read to date (outside of anything written by Massa Milbank.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 9:22 am | Permalink
  2. christian wrote:

How did you even find the Tooley article? I can’t imagine you frequent that site.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 9:46 am | Permalink
  3. Keljeck wrote:

The American Spectator is a reliable source of incredible stupidity. I love this article from last week:

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Charlie sent it to me.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 10:01 am | Permalink
  5. Daniel wrote:

The comments on the article are perhaps even worse than the article itself. One poster suggested that “If we can prevent Christians or future converts to keep from “being eaten by lions” in the arena, didn’t we do good?”

Because apparently using coercive force to prevent persecution is the goal of Christianity.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 10:02 am | Permalink
  6. Matt wrote:

Actually, The American Spectator article is very helpful in exposing Mark Tooley’s real agenda. The Institute on Religion and Democracy has always sold itself as a defender of theological orthodoxy against liberals in mainline churches. But here we can see that when theological orthodoxy (what could be more traditional for a Mennonite than pacifism?) clashes with neoconservative politics, politics will win, every single time.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Permalink
  7. Yes…the comments. I was just going to post that when I read yours. Blech.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Permalink
  8. Evan wrote:

I got a kick out of this snippet:

“…and, in their more dedicated forms, Amish.”

Apparently the rest of ya’ll are just half-assed.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 at 9:08 am | Permalink
  9. Dave Mesing wrote:

This is quite possibly even worse than the Tooley article.

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Permalink
  10. Well, the article was effective…I mean, after reading it, I was ready to put aside my pacifism so that I could slap the hell out of him.

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Permalink
  11. MFB wrote:

If you don’t know what “womanist theology” is, and can’t even bother to google it before publishing, then you really are a dumbass.

Sunday, October 10, 2010 at 7:26 am | Permalink
  12. roger flyer wrote:

In Mormon circles, less dedicated saints (read backslidden) are called Jack-Mormons.The less dedicated anabaptists are Jack-Amish.

Monday, October 11, 2010 at 6:13 am | Permalink
  13. Charlie Collier wrote:

Perhaps this throws some light on the noun, “jack shit.”

Monday, October 11, 2010 at 9:48 am | Permalink