Women in Theology

While I’m a little bit late to the party, I want to make sure to direct folks to the excellent new blog, Women in Theology (WIT). Boasting nine different authors writing from various academic and disciplinary theological contexts, this blog helps to fill a  still-wide lacuna in the theological blogosphere. There are plenty of fascinating posts from the last couple months that merit attention, but please take special note of the most recent posts which properly point out some of the mind-numbing madness involved in Milbank’s latest post on sex. Thank you!

I look forward to more great posts from this important blog. Keep up the good work!

1. roger flyer wrote:

What in the world is that post by Milbank about? Sheesh, talk about a rambling mess…?!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Permalink
  2. Gene McCarraher wrote:

I think the three-strikes-and-you’re-out rule should apply in theology. Hit the showers, Lord Milbanque!

Honestly, Milbank needs an intervention. Fast.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Permalink
  3. kim fabricius wrote:

Lest his next stop is Rome, Gene? Interestingly, Milbank does not think his recent output marks a change in direction from his early work, but rather is developmentally consistent with it. So perhaps we should have seen it coming.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Permalink
  4. Gene McCarraher wrote:

Kim — Well, as a Catholic who increasingly feels alienated from his beloved Church (no facetiousness there), I would only feel ambivalence about any Milbankian conversion to Rome. (I’m still reeling from Newt Gingrich’s entrance. Clearly, they’ll take anyone these days.)

As for seeing it coming, yeah, you’re right. As I said in my interview last winter with The Other Journal, I drank the RO Kool-Aid, but I began coughing it up about five years ago. I attended a conference at Baylor, and heard papers/listened to conversations with a few of the True Believers. An unsettling experience, that: open fondness for monarchy, theocracy, male supremacy, etc. ad nauseum. That’s when I went back and really started thinking hard about RO, and it’s also when I realized that Herbert McCabe was a far more generous interlocutor than the Vicar of Nottingham. It’s sad, really, to see Milbank becoming such a clown.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Permalink
  5. Elizabeth wrote:

Well, it’s basically a transcript of a conversation, so it’s colorful and sprawling. But it actually makes thematic sense if one takes the time to go through all of it.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Elizabeth, is that a response to Roger? I think he was referring to Milbank’s post, not the response.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Permalink
  7. Gene McCarraher wrote:

Elizabeth — “Colorful,” maybe — though Milbank hasn’t the talent for brevity that would make him as truly witty as Fry. “Sprawling” it certainly is — like a naked corpse that one wants to cover, to spare the dead embarrassment. And to what “thematic sense” are you referring, aside from Milbank’s being a loon?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Permalink
  8. Elizabeth wrote:

Sorry–I completely misread Roger’s comment as being about the two Milbank posts on WIT, and I felt the need to defend my fellow women (I am one of the WIT bloggers). But, agreed, the thematic unity of Milbank’s thought centers around his insanity.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Permalink
  9. Elizabeth wrote:

Also, thank you for the shout-out, Halden. We think you are very nice.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Glad to hear it. I’ve been rigorously working on my niceness.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Permalink
  11. kim fabricius wrote:

What you need is a life coach, Halden.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 1:52 am | Permalink
  12. roger flyer wrote:

@ Kim. I am Halden’s (self-appointed) life coach.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

I accept that.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Permalink
  14. kim fabricius wrote:

I say we appoint Roger as chaplain to theological bloggers.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Permalink
  15. roger flyer wrote:

I accept the appointment. Is there a salary with the title?

Friday, November 19, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Permalink
  16. kim fabricius wrote:

Christ will give you strength; we will give you squat. And the love money can’t buy.

Friday, November 19, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Permalink
  17. Bobby Grow wrote:

Maybe it should be called Women In Theology at Catholic Universities, Save One (WITCUSO) ;-).

It looks like an interesting blog, thanks for the heads up, Halden.

Friday, November 19, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Permalink
  18. roger flyer wrote:

@ Kim. That sounds a lot like the last church I pastored…

Friday, November 19, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Permalink
  19. roger flyer wrote:

And now that we’ve got the old boys club thing figured out. Bring on WIT!

Friday, November 19, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Permalink