Little did you know . . .

“Many people participate in left-leaning politics, practice political correctness and endorse the radical critique of Western culture in the name of race, class and gender without understanding that they are aiding and abetting Marxist revolutionaries whose goal is to turn the whole world into a Soviet Union.”

1. Eric wrote:

And then there are those who gleefully acknowledge that they are laboring toward a Marxist revolution transforming the universe (why stop with the “whole world?” into a Soviet Union!

Why do I feel like I’ve read this before?

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Permalink
  2. Gene McCarraher wrote:

It’s Craig Carter. He’s a self-proclaimed “catholic Evangelical.” Go to his website, and check out some of his posts. He’s a genuine moron.

Now, back to plotting the socialist revolution. Which is, as Carter has divined, a secular, Kenyan myth.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Fear the secular Kenyans!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Permalink
  4. Charlie Collier wrote:

Damn, I missed it. I was going to guess Mark Tooley.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

What I find so funny is that its a quote that could easily have been found on this blog: http://shitmystudentswrite.tumblr.com/

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Permalink
  6. CCW wrote:

dear Jesus this site is a welcome respite in the midst of grading papers. I actually had two students argue that hell must exist because God obviously needs a place where he can torture people for all eternity (one actually said where he could “set them on fire.”)

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Well obviously God needs a place to set people on fire. He can’t just do that anywhere. Eww.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Yeah, people should definitely send me candidates for this “Moronic statements mercifully left anonymous for your enjoyment” category.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Permalink
  9. NRK wrote:

CCW:

Nice! I just had a student write that Luther’s teaching on justification by faith “set off the protest of the Roman Catholic Church” because he “invented the idea of purgatory.”

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Permalink
  10. Lee wrote:

The statement is an odd mash-up of right-wing obsessions from both the 90s (“political correctness”, “radical critique of Western culture”) and the 80s (um, the Soviet Union?). I guess being a conservative means never having to worry about being relevant.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Permalink
  11. Myles wrote:

Weigel offers a similar critique about Vietnam protesters in the 1960s, that domestic protest prolongs and abets the enemy’s ability to make war.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Permalink
  12. CCW wrote:

that made me giggle out of a sense of solidarity

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Permalink
  13. NRK wrote:

Also, it appears as if one of my students has discovered that Luther actually wrote 97 theses. I wonder what the two additional theses were?

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Well I’m sure that one them had to do with his invention of purgatory.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Permalink
  15. dan wrote:

I was also going to say Craig Carter! Dang.

I’ve got to say that in all of my years blogging, watching Carter lose his mind has been one of the oddest experiences.

Speaking of odd, Carter was the first person who tipped me off about Hauerwas and Yoder as he was hired at my college just before I graduated from my undergrad. I’ve since asked some people back there if Carter had a stroke or something (around the time when he switched over his blog) but there appear to have been no other signs of his descent into madness (apart from the fact that he was a real asshole of an academic Dean and treated/continues to treat other profs like shit… so I guess his character was bound to trickle out into his theology… but that might be a story for another day).

I ran into him a few years ago at a conference we were both speaking at (he was doing a workshop and I was also a workshop speaker but had been selected to be on a panel responding to Hauerwas… which I think bothered him a little bit) and watching him interact with the other speakers (including “Stan”) was shameful.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Permalink
  16. NRK wrote:

Oh, yeah, of course. And I bet the other one read: “I am tempted to take a jab at so-called ‘Catholic Evangelicals’, but I will resist.”

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Permalink
  17. Gene McCarraher wrote:

Luther’s 97th thesis was the invention of socialism. Oh, wait, was Luther actually born in Kenya?

Thursday, December 16, 2010 at 4:30 am | Permalink
  18. roger flyer wrote:

“They’re onto us, Pinky!”

Thursday, December 16, 2010 at 5:29 am | Permalink
  19. Daniel wrote:

So… what happened to Carter? Where did the guy who wrote a terrific and thoughtful book on Yoder wander off to?

Now all we’re left with is Joseph Mccarthy’s wet dream. Great.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 at 5:59 am | Permalink
  20. Matt Elia wrote:

Well, since someone mentioned Mark Tooley above, I just want to make sure he doesn’t feel left out.

Here’s an excerpt from his nonsensical response to a project some of us from Duke and the Durham area started to encourage pastors to offer guidance to their congregations concerning the moral trauma of war:

“The Religious and Evangelical Left’s uncompromising doctrine of non-violence essentially means that hundreds of thousands of innocents may die, but no permissible armed intervention may deter or rescue, possibly excepting some imaginary international ‘police’ force wielding bobby sticks, at most. Sadly, the Religious and Evangelical Left’s crocodile tears over the real tragedy of Iraqi civilian fatalities are motivated primarily by antipathy towards America. They ignore the main killers, and disregard the nastier alternatives to American intervention. Such exercises in self-delusion may titillate some seminarians but likely won’t persuade very many minds off campus.”

Saturday, December 18, 2010 at 8:03 am | Permalink
  21. In the Gospel of Mark chapter 2, Jesus dined with the equivalent of traitors to the Israel state. Like investing himself in the Communists in McCarthy-era USA. Or German occupation in 1940s Netherlands.

Yet Jesus still maintained a “radical critique of [decadent] culture in the name of race, class and gender”

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 10:38 am | Permalink